If you are taking any medications on this list, they should be discontinued 2 weeks prior to surgery and only acetaminophen products, such as Tylenol, should be taken for pain. All other medications – prescriptions, over the counter and herbal products – that you are currently taking must be specifically cleared by Dr. Alexander or the Anesthesiologist prior to surgery. It is absolutely necessary that all of your current medications be specifically cleared.
Types of Medications to Avoid:
- Aspirin Medications – these affect blood clotting
- Ibuprofen Medications – these affect blood clotting
- All diet aids, including OTC and herbal – these intensify anesthesia and cardiological effects
- Tricyclic antidepressants – these intensify anesthesia and cardiological effects
- Salicylate Medications, Food & Beverages – these affect blood clotting
- Vitamins & Herbs – these affect blood clotting, blood sugar, anesthesia, rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, liver damage
Important note: Just because a product is not on this list does not mean it is safe to take before surgery. All current medications be specifically cleared prior to surgery.